Tuesday Afternoon Earnings Roundup
Seattle, Nordstrom Inc. recorded net earnings of $148.9 million in the second quarter, up from $106.9 million a year ago. Total sales rose 7.8% to $2.1 billion on a comps increase of 6.2%.
• Staples Inc. recorded a 20% gain in second-quarter net income to $147 million. Revenues increased 12% to $3.47 billion for the quarter, supported by 3% comps growth.
• Abercrombie & Fitch posted a 34% increase in net income to $57.4 million in the second quarter. Company net sales rose 42% to $571.6 million on same-store sales growth of 30%.
• Borders Group Inc. reported consolidated net income of $1.3 million in the second quarter, down from $7.9 million in the year-ago period. The retailer attributed the shortfall to the cost of strategic investments. However, consolidated sales increased 5.3% in the quarter to $891.6 million on same-store sales growth of 1.8% and 1.9% at Borders superstores and the Waldenbooks division, respectively.
• Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. announced second-quarter net income of $22.1 million, up from $17.9 million in the year-ago period. Dick’s recent performance was impacted by after-tax merger integration and store closing costs of $3.2 million and an after-tax gain on sale of investment of $1.1 million. Sales increased 50% to $622 million. Same-store sales rose 0.5%.
• Wilsons The Leather Experts announced a net loss of $14 million in the second quarter, as compared to a net loss of $30.4 million in the same quarter of 2004. Net sales increased 5.6% to $58.4 million, supported by comps growth of 8.7%.
• Cato Corp. posted net income of $10.7 million in the second quarter vs. $8.1 million in the same quarter of 2004. Sales increased 6% to $208.3 million. Same-store sales remained flat.
• Books-A-Million Inc. posted second-quarter net income of $1.7 million, up from $989,000 year-over-year. Net sales rose 7.9% to $122.4 million on same-store sales growth of 4.4%.