Retail Hit List for Manhattan: 12 New Stars
It’s hard to keep up with Manhattan’s fast-changing retail scene. But no one does it better than Faith Hope Consolo, chairman, retail leasing and sales division, Prudential Douglas Elliman Real Estate. Here are new and upcoming stores that Consolo, often referred to as the “Queen of Retail,” expects to be “fashionably” fabulous this year (with all comments by the Queen of Retail herself):
- Uniqlo, 666 Fifth Avenue: Continuing its expansion around the city after its Soho store, this giant flagship from Japan will offer the latest casual trends at value prices.
- AllSaints: From clothing to homeware, AllSaints offers a British take on casual style ((411 West 13th Street).
- James Perse: Coming east from Los Angeles, Perse's high-quality t-shirts, hats and other apparel for men, women and children have become mainstays for Hollywood. And Perse has retail in his blood -- he grew up hanging around his father's store, LA celebrity haunt Maxfield (60 Mercer Street).
- Comptoir de Cotonniers: Looking for fashion-forward mother-daughter outfits? This French company offers chic combinations for girls and women (345 Bleecker Street -- 184 Columbus Avenue).
- Alexander Wang: 345 Bleecker Street Handbags, shoes, women's t-shirts -- Wang does them all with clean, classic but luxurious designs (184 Columbus Avenue -- 103 Grand Street).
- Joie: Available at some of the best department stores and specialty boutiques, Joie's line offers casual, but feminine clothes, particularly in cashmere. Her first specialty boutique will truly allow a full presentation of the line (1200 Madison Avenue).
- Tincati: Menswear from Milano -- the top brands in a carefully edited selection, allowing the stylish man a one-stop shop to look his best (Madison at 63rd Street).
- Ivanka Trump: Diamonds, beads, and gems in attention-getting designs -- this is jewelry for the confident woman. Not surprisingly, the location is in Trump Tower (721 Fifth Avenue).
- Tory Burch: Burch's third store in the city will continue to offer her classic American sportswear and accessories at more accessible prices -- and a bit of colorful flair (797 Madison Avenue).
- Chocheng: The Hong Kong couture house offers elegant women's wear. Cho Cheng, in fact, has been named one of China's top five designers (838 Madison Avenue).
- Joe Fresh: Joe Fresh has been offering affordable, stylish fashion in stores across Canada. Now it’s making its U.S. debut (510 Fifth Avenue).
- Tommy Bahama: Want to feel like you're visiting your favorite tropical island? Tommy Bahama's leisure wear, accessories (and even his own rum) will take you straight to the Caribbean, at least in spirit (551 Fifth Avenue).