Neiman Marcus gives update on security breach
New York -- Neiman Marcus Group on Thursday posted a statement on its website in which it said that, to its knowledge, customers' Social Security numbers and birthdates were not stolen during its holiday security breach. Last week, the retailer revealed that some of customers' payment information had been stolen and that the thieves had made unauthorized charges.
In the website post, Neiman Marcus also said that customers who shopped online do not appear at this time to have been affected by the incident, and it said personal identification numbers, or PINs, were never at risk because the company does not require the use of PIN pads in its stores.
“We have taken and are continuing to take a number of steps to contain the situation, and to help prevent an unlawful intrusion like this from happening again,” said Karen Katz, CEO, Neiman Marcus, in the letter. “Actions we have taken include working with federal law enforcement, disabling the malware we have found, enhancing our security tools, and assessing and reinforcing our related payment card systems in light of this new threat.”