J.C. Penney to leave Martha Stewart label off certain lines
New York -- J.C. Penney will leave the Martha Stewart name off some of its upcoming décor and housewares lines despite the pair’s multi-million dollar partnership, according to a Tuesday report by the New York Post.
Citing unnamed sources, The Post said that while the Martha Stewart name will appear on window treatments, the brand will be mostly missing from key categories such as bedding, linens and kitchenware.
Macy’s pending lawsuit challenging the Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia’s 10-year, $200 million licensing deal with J.C. Penney – which charges that the deal violates Macy’s own distribution rights with Stewart -- has given J.C. Penney pause. The case has a Feb. 19 trial date in Manhattan before New York state Judge Jeffrey Oing, who last year issued a preliminary injunction against Martha Stewart from taking any steps toward making, marketing or selling the exclusive line for J.C. Penney.
Earlier in January, Martha Stewart officials said they and J.C. Penney are still targeting a spring launch, although it has been delayed from February to May, said the report.