Albertsons first grocer to earn LEED certification on remodel
Fullerton, Calif. Albertsons' remodeled store in La Habra, Calif., has received LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. It is the first major retail grocery store to earn the distinction for an interior remodel.
From the start of the project in September 2008 through its completion in December 2008, the remodel of the 55,711-sq-ft. supermarket was focused on 100% energy efficiency. Additionally, more than 95% of the remodel's construction waste was separated and recycled or donated to reduce the amount of garbage going into the landfills.
“Like our parent company Supervalu, Albertsons is committed to taking proactive steps to minimize our carbon footprint. We are thrilled that we could apply our learnings on sustainability at Supervalu to create the first LEED-certified grocery store remodel in the nation,” noted Sue Klug, Albertson Southern California Division president.
The store’s energy-saving measures include Internet energy monitoring of refrigeration, lighting, air-conditioning and heating equipment, and the use of night on all open cold cases in the produce, meat and deli departments in the evening. The curtains seal in the cool air and reduce spoilage and energy costs by up to 25%. Other features include:
- Water-saving faucets, fixtures and sensors installed in the restrooms to reduce the amount of water by over 45%;
- Over 40 skylights combined with photo-sensor-controlled dimmable lighting on the sales floor that create a comfortable shopping experience while reducing the store’s electricity usage;
- Asystem that seizes heat from the refrigeration system (used to cool frozen and perishable products) and re-captures it for heating the store’s hot water;
- New carbon-dioxide sensors and high-grade air filters to keep air inside the store clean and fresh; and
- LED lighting on all coolers and frozen-food case doors.
The store also offers parking spaces designated for carpoolers as a way of further promoting green living.
Palladeo Construct, a Glendale, Calif.-based, environmental design and retail strategy, custom decor and fixture fabrication and full-service construction firm, partnered with Albertsons on the La Habra store remodel.